installing nginx on centos should be straightforward

Steve Holdoway steve at
Sun Feb 17 04:35:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 17:27 -0500, mottwsc wrote:
> I have set up a virtual server with a LAMP stack (Centos 6.3) and am now
> trying to install nginx to use as a proxy server.  I have been told to
> download from sudo rpm -Uvh
> and
> have done so prior to trying to install nginx.  However, something was wrong
> with this because when I tried to install nginx (sudo yum install nginx),
> there were a number of packages that were skipped due to dependency
> problems.  When I tried to start nginx, it could not find the files.
> Given that nginx is a well-used server, this has to be easier than what I am
> encountering.  Does anyone know the correct commands to set this up so that
> nginx can install?
> Thanks.
It is. If you're going to install nginx from a repo, why not use theirs?

rpm -Uvh

yum install nginx

( next question... why only use it as a proxy server? )

Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP
Skype: sholdowa