Using Nginx auth in PHP scripts

Steve Holdoway steve at
Tue Feb 26 21:15:01 UTC 2013

You can pass environment vars to PHP no problem...

Eg: if you set up geoip in nginx.conf

geoip_country		/usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat;

this makes $geoip_country_code available to your nginx config.

If you then set
fastcgi_param GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE $geoip_country_code;

$_SERVER['GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE'] is then available to php.

This can be done for any variable set within nginx.

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 15:58 -0500, B.R. wrote:
> Hello,
> The only information I got on the Web was to protect folders with
> Nginx auth, just like the plein old Apache's .htaccess.
> I am already using AuthPlain to secure a folder with Nginx, using PHP
> scripts inside.
> I wonder if it was possible to use Nginx auth information inside those
> PHP scripts.
> More precisely, I would have a directory protected with AuthPlain and
> I would have a script (let's call it index.php) being called when the
> authentication is successful.
> The AuthPlain has several users registered and I would like to know if
> index.php might be aware who logged in to welcom him with his/her
> username.
> Am I dreaming too much ?
> ---
> B. R.