Exchange / Outlook - RPC Method and Error 405

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Feb 28 12:26:40 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 03:33:06AM -0500, gmor wrote:

[...]

> 1. How can I allow this Method, if that is the issue?
> 2. If what I'm doing is fundamentally not possible, please just let me
> know!

The 405 error, at least if returned by nginx, means that module
which used to handle the request doesn't understand the request
method used.  E.g. static module will only handle GET and HEAD,
and will return 405 to anything else as it doesn't know how to
handle other methods.  Proxy module, in contrast, just proxies the
request and don't care which method was used.

So first of all I would suggest you to make sure requests are
handled in a location with proxy_pass properly configured.  A
simple way to do this would be to just throw away all funny
regexp locations you wrote in your config, and start with a simple

    location / {
        proxy_pass http://backend;
    }

to handle all requests.  Using debug log might be also helpful,
see http://nginx.org/en/debugging_log.html.

(Note: I'm not sure this will work at all, I've never tried.  I
would rather suppose it won't work, as RPC likely tries to
establish in/out data streams.  I wouldn't expect a stream from
a client to a backend to work as nginx will insist on reading a
request body before it will be passed to the backend.)

[...]

> upstream exchange_all {
>  ip_hash;
>  server 10.1.1.1 max_fails=1 fail_timeout=10s;
>  server 10.1.1.2 max_fails=1 fail_timeout=10s;
>
>  # Do NOT Remove - this is needed for auth to work
>  keepalive 32;

Just a side note:

This is wrong - there is no guarantee that the same upstream server
connection will used for requests from a particular client.  While with
keepalive Integrated Windows Authentication might appear to work,
it in fact doesn't.  You should switch to Basic authentication
instead.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Windows_Authentication
for more details.

[...]