Nginx, PHP, Wordpress, VirtualBox

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Thu Jan 10 23:49:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 15:40 -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Dunno if anyone's running anything similar.  I recently shifted to Nginx
> from Cherokee - and in so doing I setup a virtual server using
> VirtualBox to run it in.  My primary use is for serving a pair of
> Wordpress sites.
>
> This is not (currently) a high-traffic server - but I do want it to run
> well regardless.  My current configuration for the virtual hardware is 1
> CPU and 1G RAM.  Nginx (obviously) is installed, as is php-fpm.  Mysql
> is running on the host - both host & guest are Ubuntu.
>
> Generally, of that 1G I see half in-use, a quarter cached, and a quarter
> free.  So my first reaction is I don't THINK I'm starving the VM for RAM
> - but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> I generally don't seeing anything actively running except for php during
> a request - which hits 25% usage.
>
> Any suggestions for modifying my virtual or nginx config?  Or do I need
> to focus on Wordpress caching?

You don't say what the problem is, but if it's performance, look at:

1. Host database config
2. PHP config - memory use
3. Add an opcode cacher - APC seems to work best on php-fpm
4. Nginx config - compression, expiry headers, fpm resources.

TBH I feel that WP caching options are for those without the ability to
to the job properly - ie cannot tune their servers.

...but it all sounds ok to me TBH. I run pure nginx servers on KVM VPSes
with 128MB - and they only use half of that.

hth,

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP