Nginx, PHP, Wordpress, VirtualBox

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Jan 11 01:04:18 UTC 2013

On 1/10/2013 3:49 PM, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 15:40 -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>> Dunno if anyone's running anything similar.  I recently shifted to Nginx
>> from Cherokee - and in so doing I setup a virtual server using
>> VirtualBox to run it in.  My primary use is for serving a pair of
>> Wordpress sites.
>>
>> This is not (currently) a high-traffic server - but I do want it to run
>> well regardless.  My current configuration for the virtual hardware is 1
>> CPU and 1G RAM.  Nginx (obviously) is installed, as is php-fpm.  Mysql
>> is running on the host - both host & guest are Ubuntu.
>>
>> Generally, of that 1G I see half in-use, a quarter cached, and a quarter
>> free.  So my first reaction is I don't THINK I'm starving the VM for RAM
>> - but maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>> I generally don't seeing anything actively running except for php during
>> a request - which hits 25% usage.
>>
>> Any suggestions for modifying my virtual or nginx config?  Or do I need
>> to focus on Wordpress caching?
> You don't say what the problem is, but if it's performance, look at:
>
> 1. Host database config
> 2. PHP config - memory use
> 3. Add an opcode cacher - APC seems to work best on php-fpm
> 4. Nginx config - compression, expiry headers, fpm resources.
>
> TBH I feel that WP caching options are for those without the ability to
> to the job properly - ie cannot tune their servers.
>
> ...but it all sounds ok to me TBH. I run pure nginx servers on KVM VPSes
> with 128MB - and they only use half of that.

LOL - you're right!  I didn't mention what my problem might be!

Yes, it was a performance concern.  My site's rather small - basically a
corporate vanity site - and I haven't been slashdotted yet...so I don't
think it's a huge issue now...

It just "felt" like it was running slow.  I did just switch from xcache
to apc - and also adjusted the apc settings to where they might do some
good.

I also just realized that many of my caching options get invalidated
when I access the site as a logged-in admin.  That all by itself makes a
HUGE difference!
--
Daniel