Help needed with configuration

Ian Hobson ian.hobson at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 18 09:55:53 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am trying to set up Nginx for a reseller scenario.  The reseller will
get his own root, and be able to
create his versions of any file on the site, or, by leaving the file
out, simply have the basic one used
instead. My test configuration is below, and it so nearly works!

The URL   reseller.anake.hcs  does not result in serving
...coachmaster3dev/htdocs/index.php as I want,
but in a 403 Forbidden error.

server {
     server_name reseller.anake.hcs;
     listen   80;
     fastcgi_read_timeout  300;
     index index.php index.html index.htm;
     root /home/ian/websites/reseller/htdocs;
     # don't serve templates
     location ~ \.tpl {
                 return 404;
     }
     # handle php
     location ~ \.php$ {
         try_files $uri $uri/ @masterphp;
         fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
         fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
         include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
     }
     location @masterphp {
         root /home/ian/websites/coachmaster3dev/htdocs;
         try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
         fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
         fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
         include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
     }
     # try reseller's static files
     location / {
         try_files $uri $uri/ @master;
     }
     # switch to master set
     location @master {
         root /home/ian/websites/coachmaster3dev/htdocs;
         try_files $uri $uri/  =404;

I am using nginx 1.2.6.

How can I get it to work?

Thanks