Nagios check for nginx with separate metrics

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Thu Nov 14 11:03:42 UTC 2013

On 14/11/2013 12:00 πμ, Francis Daly wrote:

> If*everyone*  who writes a checker provides multiple metrics at once, that
> kind of suggests that a single metric at a time isn't all that important.

I won't disagree, you need to correlate metrics, but you cannot graph
them as a function of time if you don't log them separately.

> Presumably they all ask for a url where nginx serves "stub_status", and
> process the numbers returned.

Right. That's how they operate.

> In your version, just ignore the numbers you don't care about. (Or cache them and serve slightly-stale information,
> to avoid making the same request three times in succession.)
>
> Good luck with it,

I am still surprised, however, that I couldn't find such a thing around,
esp. since it's standard in Apache Nagios checks!

I can (most probably) do it, but life is just not enough to find time to
do everything by yourself! :-(

Thanks,
Nick