Solving a 500 error

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Wed Oct 2 10:55:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 05:52:32PM +0100, Ian Hobson wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have an nginx install with the configuration below.
> The server is a linux VM running under Virtual Box on my windows
> machine. The website / directory is made available as a sharename
> using Samba, which I connect to from Windows, so I can edit the
> files. I edit in windows, using familiar tools and then test using a
> browser, usually without restarting nginx or init-fastcgi.
> This works fine for php files. When I edit one of two javascript
> files, the next request for a javascript file fails with a 500 error
> - even if the request is not for the changed file.
> The version of nginx I am running is 1.2.6 compiled with the long
> polling module included.
> Does anyone know what is happening?

Key points is "Samba" and "Linux".  When you edit files via Samba
share, it tries to lock files with fcntl(F_GETLEASE) if running on
Linux.  This in turn results in errors while opening such "locked"
files.  For more information see Samba docs here:

It's not clear why the problem happens with files you didn't
changed, but I would suppose they are at least open via Samba.

Anyway, disabling appropriate locking in Samba configuration will
likely help.  See the link above for details.

Maxim Dounin