Nginx Webdav & POST method

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Wed Oct 16 13:40:42 UTC 2013

On 16 Oct 2013 13:09, <smainklh at free.fr> wrote:

> Thanks Maxim,
> I'll contact their support in order to understand its behavior.

If you discover that it does indeed use POSTs in an nginx-incompatible way,
you could use nginx to hack the request into something usable. [ NB I'd
only do this for an absolutely immutable appliance; in any other situation
I'd personally tell the devs their code was broken and we couldn't help:
don't inherit other people's technical debt without a commitment to a fix! ]

There's a directive (proxy_method?) which changes the verb when used in a
proxy_pass'd context.

You could just have a double pass through nginx, with the
publicly-listening server{} solely being responsible for doing s/POST/PUT/
, before proxy_pass'ing to the actual webdav server via a
127.0.0.0/8address. Use a map to define the verb, I suggest.

If it's not clear from the above how to do this, let me know and I'll run
up a test and guide you towards some config. I suggest it's not very
difficult to do, however ;-)

Yes, this is an utterly horrible hack. No, I have never used it in
production. Yes, there is an lie hidden in this paragraph.

Cheers,
Jonathan