Re: Root inside Location Block? Pitfalls says NO, Beginner’s Guide says YES

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Sep 19 11:28:13 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 06:57:35AM -0400, chrisrob wrote:

> Practically the first two pages I read when starting with nginx were:
>
> http://wiki.nginx.org/Pitfalls
>
> which says "putting Root inside Location Block is BAD" - don't do it.
>
> and
>
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/beginners_guide.html
>
> which gives this as its example of a config file:
>
> The resulting configuration of the server block should look like this:
>
> server {
>     location / {
>         root /data/www;
>     }
>     location /images/ {
>         root /data;
>     }
> }
>
> So I'm wondering which is right?

As you can see, the example in begginners guide uses _different_
roots for locations configured, and hence it's very different from
the example provided at Pitfalls wiki page.

Using the "root" directive inside a location block isn't bad per
se.  It's bad if you repeat it needlessly instead of using single
root inside a server{} block.

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html