Adding custom protocol data while creating new keepalive connections

Jayadev C jayadev at
Mon Apr 7 14:45:17 UTC 2014

Nginx is proxying requests to my custom tcp server. I have my proxy handler to create the right request format and process headers etc.

The trouble started when I started using keepalive handler.  I have to add a custom protocol header bytes for every new keepalive connection and skip the header bytes if nginx is using an existing cached one. Currently create_request is called before getting an upstream connection (from default round robin handler) and there seems to be no callback to my module once the connection is selected/created.

Any bright ideas ? Should I provide my one connection handlers to do this or my own keepalive handler itself ?