Intermittent failures with SecureChannelFailure error on client

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Apr 18 13:03:45 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:34:14AM -0700, Venkat Morampudi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using NGINX (version 1.4.4) in front of HAProxy for SSl
> termination. We are seeing intermittent  "Could not create
> SSL/TLS secure channel" failure from our .net client. On
> enabling  debug logging on NGINX the following error is being
> recorded at the same time the client see the error.
>
> [info] 27456#0: *43842 SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL:
> error:1408C095:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_FINISHED:digest check
> failed) while SSL handshaking, client: 10.76.121.148, server:
> 0.0.0.0:443

>From the error message it looks like that handshake failed due to
incorrect digest value got from the client.

Do you control network and are able to eliminate a possibility of
real man-in-the-middle attack?  If yes, this is likely a bug
either in the client or in OpenSSL library on nginx side.

Some things to test, in no particular order:

- A workaround from here may work, as well as advise to obtain more
  details from the client:
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2078682/net-httpwebrequest-https-error

- Try to add SSL_OP_TLS_ROLLBACK_BUG option in nginx, it may help
  in case of some client bugs which used to result in digest check
  failures (see "man SSL_set_options" for details).

- Checking if the problem persists with latest OpenSSL library
  (or, vice versa, with old good 0.9.8*) may be beneficial, as
  well as upgrading nginx to at least latest 1.4.x version.

> Based on the documentation I have disabled ssl session reuse, it
> didn't seem to help.

Did you do this in your .net client?

[...]

> This message and any attachments contain information that may be
> RMS Inc. confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the
> intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended

Just a side note: sending messages to the whole world with such a
disclaimer looks silly.

http://nginx.org/