use subdirectories instead of subdomains

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Fri Apr 25 16:53:54 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 4/25/14, 12:06 PM, Thuban wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to use subdirectories instead of subdomains because my host
> doesn't support subdomains.

First suggestion is get a better host.

> So, instead of having :
>
> - http://owncloud.example.com
> - http://wordpress.example.com
> - http://anyservice.example.com
>
> I would like to have :
> - http://example.com/owncloud
> - http://example.com/wordpress
> - http://example.com/anyservice
>
> I tried to do such things with `location` rules and `alias`.Example :
>
>      root /var/www/mysite;
>      location /owncloud {
>          alias /var/www/mysite/owncloud;
>          include /etc/nginx/conf.d/owncloud.conf;
>          }
>
> , but services like owncloud need `location` rules too, so I finally
> have "location /example is outside location" errors.
>
> How can I configure nginx for this?

Why are you using an alias here? If the root is /var/www/mysite then

location /owncloud

would be interpreted as /var/www/mysite/owncloud which I'm guessing is
what you want.

--
Jim Ohlstein

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference." - Mark Twain