nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "upload_pass" after dist-upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Fri Aug 22 23:12:15 UTC 2014

On Friday 22 August 2014 17:54:22 Ben Johnson wrote:
[..]

> Thank you kindly, Valentin. That explains it!
>
> Well, that's a real disappointment. Is it no longer possible for nginx
> to handle uploads in a similar manner? This was one of my favorite
> features of nginx: the ability to offload large file uploads from PHP
> onto nginx.

[..]

Could you elaborate a bit what's the ability you're speaking about?

By default, nginx is good enough in offloading large file uploads.

For example:

  location /upload {
      fastcgi_pass backend;

      fastcgi_pass_request_body off;
      fastcgi_param UPLOADED_FILENAME $request_body_file;

      client_body_in_file_only on;
  }

With the configuration above nginx only passes the name of the
uploaded file.

Reference:
http://nginx.org/r/fastcgi_pass_request_body
http://nginx.org/r/client_body_in_file_only