Minimal configuration

Francis Daly francis at
Sun Feb 16 22:23:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:00:07PM +0100, B.R. wrote:

Hi there,

> Right, I did not pay attention to that.

I think you're still not understanding it.

> However, when requesting the root (by typing in the browser), $uri
> should be empty, thus why can't '$uri/' act as '/' and redirect accordingly?

It can. It does.

When it redirects to /, the location match starts again, and try_files
applies again, and you get the "rewrite or internal redirection cycle"
that you saw in the logs.

(Strictly, when you type in the browser, it requests /, so $uri is
not empty. But that's not related to what try_files does here.)

Francis Daly        francis at