Hosting a web application from a subsite

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Mon Jul 7 13:10:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 02:39:32AM -0400, Ron Scott-Adams wrote:

> I’m not having much luck trying to configure this site the way I want. I’m modifying to suit a case in which it is served out of a subsite location, e.g.
> I’ve created 2 configuration files. One is included outside the server sections of the main site’s configuration file:
> The second is included from the server 443 section of the site:
> I was attempting to deliver this via proxy_pass, but it appears I’ve failed: the error log throws:
> [error] 30196#0: *6289 upstream sent unsupported FastCGI protocol version: 72 while reading response header from upstream, client:, server:, request: "GET /stats/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://", host: ""

You are connecting with fastcgi_pass (which talks FastCGI
protocol) to an HTTP backend server, this won't work.  To talk to
HTTP backends you have to use proxy_pass (note "proxy", not "fastcgi").

Maxim Dounin