SSI and proxy_pass

T.crowder nginx-forum at
Thu Jul 10 16:18:24 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying out nginx. I would like to use it to perform the following:

1. Retrieve a page from a server1 which includes some SSI commands
2. Process the SSI commands, eventually including content from server2
3. Return the resultant page

I've got SSI working when using a local file, but not when using the page
from a server1 using proxy_pass.

Here's my config I'm using to try to achieve the above.

events {
    worker_connections  1024;
http {
    server {
        listen       80;
        server_name  localhost;

        location /hello-world.html {
            ssi on;
For testing purposes, I'm using a simple SSI command, as shown in the output
my browser actually ends up with, which is identical to the content on

<!--# set var="test" value="Hello nginx!" -->
<!--# echo var="test" -->

Do I need to use something other than proxy_pass, or is it just not
possible? Thanks!