Nginx Rewrite for Proxy Pass

Francis Daly francis at
Fri May 30 16:59:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 11:55:32AM -0400, bwellsnc wrote:

Hi there,

> This is the issue.  I am using a fortigate device to protect my network and
> I want to use the https connection in the web portal to access my Jira
> instance.  The problem is that jira always expects a
>, because that is what is set in it's base
> url.  The fortigate sends this to nginx:

According to the proxy_pass documentation,

  location ^~ /proxy/https/ {
    proxy_pass https://[jira hostname or ip]/;
    proxy_set_header Host;

should do what you seem to be asking for. (Replace [this bit].)

But I'm not aware of any proxy/firewall devices that do what you say your
fortigate is doing. So it may not end up doing what you actually want.

Francis Daly        francis at