Nginx Rewrite for Proxy Pass

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Fri May 30 16:53:01 UTC 2014

On 30 May 2014 16:55, bwellsnc <bwellsnc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I have an interesting issue.  I am using nginx 1.6.0 to
> proxy back to my Jira instance.  This is working great within my network.
> This is the issue.  I am using a fortigate device to protect my network and
> I want to use the https connection in the web portal to access my Jira
> instance.  The problem is that jira always expects a
> https://jira.internal.example.com, because that is what is set in it's base
> url.  The fortigate sends this to nginx:
>
> https://vpn.example.com/proxy/https/jira.internal.example.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

I think someone configured your firewall wrongly. That's not just a
device's specific quirk - if someone sold a device that did that
*and*only*that* then they'd go out of business. Fix the
misconfiguration.

> Jira see's this as an incorrect path and causing it to not properly.  I am
> wanting to know is there a way to rewrite the path that the fortigate is
> sending to nginx so that jira believe's its correct.  Thanks!

Not tested, but should push you in the right direction:

    resolver some.internal.resolver.ip;
    rewrite ^/proxy/https/jira.internal.example.com/(.*)$ /$1;
    proxy_set_header Host jira.internal.example.com;
    proxy_pass https://jira.internal.example.com;

But don't do that. Fix your wrongly configured other device.