default nginx rewrite with regexp

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Nov 17 19:14:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 02:22:48PM +0100, Yoann Moulin wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm working on a default server_name that match everything but www.domain.tld
> then rewrite to www.domain.tld.

It sounds like you may have better luck letting other server{} blocks use
expected server_name:s; and just let the default match everything else.

But I'm not exactly sure what it is that you do want to do and don't
want to do.

> I must be able to make a difference between domain.co.uk and foo.domain.com
> first must rewrite www.domain.co.uk second, to www.domain.com

Have you a list or a pattern of which endings should match the first
pattern, and which the second? Because if you do not, you cannot
expect nginx to know that one.two.abc should be handled differently
from one.two.xyz.

> But I don't find any clean solution. Is there a solution for that ? or I must
> still list all domains in my vhost ?

If you can specify the problem exactly, it may be possible to arrive at a solution.

If you can't, it probably won't be.

What should happen to a request for a.b.domain.co.uk? Or
www.b.domain.co.uk?

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org