Using both keepalive requests and timeout

Das, Jagannath jadas at
Fri Nov 21 03:19:52 UTC 2014

It was new learning for me that keep alive_timeout is a time set for inactivity. May be we should add that in the wiki page.

This will actually relief a lot of people. :)

From: "Valentin V. Bartenev" <vbart at<mailto:vbart at>>
Date: Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM
To: "nginx at<mailto:nginx at>" <nginx at<mailto:nginx at>>
Subject: Re: Using both keepalive requests and timeout

On Thursday 20 November 2014 20:40:30 Das, Jagannath wrote:
I tried with 10s, 30s, 40s .

But you have set 2s timeout between requests in httperf,
so how do you expect it to work?

It's a timeout for inactive keep-alive connection.

If you set keepalive_timeout 10s; then a connection
will be closed after 10 seconds of inactivity, but
httperf with the --wsess=1,102,2 parameters sends
new requests every 2 seconds.

See also:

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

nginx mailing list