Default answer at proxy timeout

Fritz Richter fritz at adsquare.com
Wed Nov 26 13:48:09 UTC 2014

Hi together,

we have a nginx Server serving our requests. Based on our SLAs we need to answer always in 7ms time. Behind the nginx Server, there is a Java Backend, which we proxy through the nginx.

The requirement is saying, that in case we can not deliver our answer in 7ms, we need to respond with an empty String „\n“.

Is there a ways to configure nginx in that way, that after the 7ms timeframe it will not wait for the backend systems answer but respond with this empty String?

Thanks for your help
fri