Default answer at proxy timeout

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at
Wed Nov 26 14:47:50 UTC 2014

​ginx provides​
However, as documentation states, the timeout is set between messages, so a
fragmented answer which takes less than the timeout for each part will
You also have proxy_connect_timeout
and proxy_send_timeout
directives, if those are more suitable to you.

To craft a custom answer, I would use:
​error_page 504 @backend_timeout;
in the proxied location, associated with:
location @backend_timeout {
    return 200 "\n";
*B. R.*