double slashes redirection

Benoit Vasseur bvasseur at
Mon Oct 6 09:17:56 UTC 2014

Hi everybody,

I am in trouble with my nginx configuration.

my version of nginx is 1.1.19

My goal is to redirect to http://example/site

My app is in Rails and I want to handle this redirect with Rack.

However I am not able to detect this ‘//’ in the url.

Nginx send to my app ‘/site’ and not ‘//site’.

Seeing that my rails app had not the right info I tried to handle this
redirection at the nginx level but I had the same issue ; I am not able to
detect the ‘//’.

I tried to desactivate the merge slashes option but it did not change

$uri and $request_uri still contained ‘/site’ and not ‘//site’

Do you have any idea why the first slash is skip ?

I tried to follow some examples but nothing worked :/