Nginx Load Balancing Two Squid Forward Proxyies

Alexander.Eck at Alexander.Eck at
Wed Oct 29 12:23:48 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get nginx to work as a load balancer for 2 squid forward proxies. I'm running nginx 1.6.2 on a Centos 7 64bit machine. Here's my config:

user  nginx;
worker_processes  1;

error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log warn;
pid        /var/run/;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;

http {

        upstream HD {
        server backup;
    include       /etc/nginx/mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    log_format  main  '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] "$request" '
                      '$status $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
                      '"$http_user_agent" "$http_x_forwarded_for"';

    access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log  main;

    sendfile        on;
    #tcp_nopush     on;

    keepalive_timeout  65;

    #gzip  on;

    include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;

My  conf.d/default.conf

server {
    listen       8080;

    #charset koi8-r;
    #access_log  /var/log/nginx/log/host.access.log  main;

    location / {
        proxy_pass http://HD;

I'm using my nginx in the proxy settings of my internet explorer and try to visit e.g.<> .  The request gets forwarded to the first of my server (as the second is only backup), but the requested URL get exchanged to  " / " . So my question is:
Is there a way to pass the requested URL, nginx is receiving, forward to my two squid servers ?

I'm new to nginx, but i already googled and used the wiki, but I didnt find anything useful

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards