nginx chunked transfer encoding, cannot get it to work

nkolev nginx-forum at
Mon Sep 15 12:08:10 UTC 2014

I am using an implemention of nginx with jetty servlets.

For the purpose of my project I need to initialize two connection to the
jetty servlet and keep them open.

To initialize the downlink I use a normal request and I get the inputstream
To initialize the uplink I use a chunked encoding request.

I use a 1.4.6 nginx version so the chunked encoding should be set by
default, regardless I set it in my server definition.

Here's the code for my server.

#HTTPS server

server {
listen 443;
listen [::]:443;
server_name localhost;

ssl on;
ssl_certificate /etc/nginx/ssl/server.crt;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/nginx/ssl/server.key;

ssl_session_timeout 5m;

ssl_protocols SSLv2 SSLv3 TLSv1;
ssl_ciphers HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5;
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
location / {
proxy_http_version 1.1;
expires off;
proxy_buffering off;
chunked_transfer_encoding on;
# root html;
# index index.html index.htm;

How can I get the nginx chunked transfer encoding downlink to work?

I have also done simple tests to make that it's not my apps implementation
that's blocking it somehow and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?
Thanks :)