Endless HTTP auth attempts without 5xx error? [was: Basic HTTP auth prompting too many times]

E.B. emailbuilder88 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 04:55:40 UTC 2015

by the way, i changed to nginx basic_auth and when I enter
wrong credentials, it allows me endless tries.  i'm was used
to apache gives a 5xx page after three bad tries.  i guess you
could refresh that and try again in apache too, but endless
tries without a error for nginx?  is there a way to change this?