NGIX to Apache for Digest Authentication

Gurumurthy Sundar Gurumurthy.Sundar at telventdtn.com
Fri Feb 20 19:46:37 UTC 2015

I have a NGINX in front of Apache which has both Basic and Digest authentication turned on. I'd like a set up where a user connects to NGINX (using Basic or Digest) and NGINX simply proxy the request to the Apache where the actual authentication happens. I have the Basic case working but not the Digest. Here's how the config for Basic looks like:

location /basic {

          proxy_set_header x-user $http_x_user;
          proxy_pass       http://my.apache.server; // where authentication happens
                  proxy_set_header X-Original-URI $request_uri;
          proxy_set_header       Host $host;
          proxy_set_header       X-Real-IP $remote_addr;

}
Could somebody help me out on how to accomplish the Digest case?

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.