error logging with nginx and uWSGI

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun May 3 12:18:33 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 12:04:51PM -0400, Larry Martell wrote:

> Prior to now, all the django projects I've worked on have used apache
> and WSGI. With those, when an error occurred I went to
> /var/log/httpd/error_log and details of the error were clearly there.
>
> Now for the first time I am working on a project using nginx and
> uWSGI. Here, the /var/log/nginx/error_log is always empty. And the
> uWSGI logs have some messages, but nothing about any errors. In this
> setup where would I go to find the errors that
> /var/log/httpd/error_log logs? Is there some config setting that is
> suppressing the nginx errors?

The uwsgi protocol doesn't include an error stream from an
application to nginx.  That is, if you are looking for errors
generated by your application, you should look into uWSGI logs.

Own nginx logs can be controlled using the error_log directive,
see http://nginx.org/r/error_log.  But I suspect it's not what are
you looking for, see above.

http://nginx.org/