error running shared postrotate script

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed May 6 21:58:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 09:56:09AM -0700, Paul N. Pace wrote:

Hi there,

> Ever since upgrading to 1.8.0 I get the following report from Cron:

I suspect that this problem is outside the nginx binary, but may be due
to other files added as part of the package installation.

> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> error: error running shared postrotate script for '/var/log/nginx/*.log '
> error: error running shared postrotate script for '/var/
> www.example.com/logs/*.log '
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

What output do you get when running

  invoke-rc.d nginx rotate

as the appropriate user?

> There is a bug report (dated 2015-05-01) at Launchpad that appears
> identical to my issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nginx/+bug/1450770

That bug report asks the same question.

The answer there suggests that something changed in the init script.

> Are there any workarounds or configuration changes to correct this issue?

Perhaps revert to the previous init script; perhaps change your logrotate
script to do what is needed (send a USR1 signal to the nginx master
process) using whatever new means your system provides?

I think that both of those scripts come from the packager, so that might
be the best place to get a "will work on next update" solution.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org