nginx on Debian: dynamic network interfaces

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue May 26 17:11:37 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 05:53:00PM +0200, B.R. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Facing issues on Debian with official nginx packages, I filled a bug up on
> the Debian tracker which ended up as being closed since Debian refers to
> the faulty service(s), nginx being one.
>
> ​Bug #785253 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=785253>​
>
> ​I could not fill a bug on http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ since OAuth 2.0
> authentication through Google went away (already adressed in a separated
> thread).
>
> Could someone here confirms nginx (and not the OS) is to be adressed?

Looking though the bug in question I don't see anything to fix in
nginx.  As far as I understand the problem, it is as follows:

1. you are trying to start nginx without access to DNS;
2. your nginx configuration contains DNS names and therefore
   requires access to DNS for nginx to start, as nginx resolves
   DNS names on startup;

You should either configure your OS to ensure that you start nginx
after DNS is available or change your nginx configuration to avoid
DNS names.

http://nginx.org/