Certificate Transparency

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Wed Nov 11 14:26:18 UTC 2015

On 11/11/15 14:02, B.R. wrote:
> It is sad Chrome kind of forces website owners to have Certificate
> Transparency available while the whole things is still categorized as
> 'Experimental' by the IETF to this day:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6962
>
> ... but that is another debate. If you wanna serve CT certificates from
> a non-CT-compliant CA, you will need to serve it through as TLS
> extension, ie using a server module.
>
> In the end, it sounds logical that CA implement this mechanism on their
> side, through OCSP.

Indeed it does (and I'm very glad I pushed for this feature to be
included in RFC6962 :-) ).

If you have a cert from Comodo, we can embed SCTs in OCSP Responses for
you today.  Just ask.  :-)
(IIRC, DigiCert can do this too.  I don't know about any other CAs).

> For now, this RFC future is uncertain and the technical oddities this
> mechanism oddities it implies (double issuance
> <https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/will-you-support-certificate-transparency/222/11>,
> for example) might make CAs relunctant to rush, and it is perfectly
> understandable.

Google have consistently said that they intend to require CT for all (EV
and non-EV) TLS server certificates eventually.

Given that Google are "going to require that as of June 1st, 2016, all
certificates issued by Symantec itself will be required to support
Certificate Transparency" [1], it seems that "eventually" might not be
that far away.

BTW, note that over at the IETF we're working on the next version of CT [2].

[1]
https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/sustaining-digital-certificate-security.html

[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis/

> If you support Chrome's vision and Google's wish to force the way of
> this RFC, go for a compliant CA or use a custom module.
> ---
> *B. R.*
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Rob Stradling
> <rob.stradling at comodo.com <mailto:rob.stradling at comodo.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/11/15 11:03, locojohn wrote:
>
>         Joó Ádám Wrote:
>         -------------------------------------------------------
>
>             The TLS extension is the only method to implement Certificate
>             Transparency without the assistance of the CA, and starting with
>             January 1 2015 Chrome refuses to display the green bar for EV
>             certificates without Certificate Transparency.
>
>             StartSSL is one CA that currently does not support other
>             methods,
>             which means a lot of sites suffers from this.
>

>         Interesting, we have installed multi-domain EV certificates from
>         StartSSL
>         for our company and we use Nginx, and EV green bar works in all
>         modern and
>         even not so modern browsers:
>
>         https://www.ahlers.com
>

>     In Chrome 46, I see "https:" in green but I don't see the "EV green
>     bar" that shows the Subject Organization Name.  That's because...
>
>         I presume Certificate Transparency is not required then?
>

>     ...CT _is_ required if you want to see the EV green bar in recent
>     versions of Chrome.
>
>         Best regards,
>         Andrejs
>

>     --
>     Rob Stradling
>     Senior Research & Development Scientist
>     COMODO - Creating Trust Online

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.