SPDY + HTTP/2

Валентин Бартенев vbart at nginx.com
Tue Feb 9 20:00:08 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 05:06:39 mongia.ramandeep wrote:
> I was able to patch nginx-1.9.10 which supports both SPDY + HTTP2. I don't
> intend to use both of them simultaneously on the same interface.
>
> My question: Is there a reason why this is not done? It gives me an option
> to choose between the two per interface.
>
> server {
>     listen x.x.x.x:443 ssl http2;
>     server_name  abc.com;
> }
> server {
>     listen y.y.y.y:443 ssl spdy;
>     server_name  def.com;
> }

The answer is that there's a huge difference between patching something
to get some feature for your own build and actually to provide support,
to keep maintaining the code.

We aren't going to spend more time on maintaining already deprecated
experimental protocol.  A lot of work is being done for every release
to find and fix bugs, to implement new features, to test on various
platforms.  All these procedures are essentially to provide high quality
product for millions of users around the world with various use cases and
configurations.  Any additional line of code adds additional cost to this
work.

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev