Reverse proxy, proxy_pass

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Fri Jan 8 18:02:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 05:52:20PM -0600, Amir Kaivani wrote:

> Hi there,
> Here is a part of my nginx config file:
> location /test/ {
>    proxy_pass http://localhost:1024/;
> }
> If I have it as above the GET /test/xxxx request will be sent to port 1024
> as /xxxx and it also decodes the URI.
> I know that if I remove / from the end of proxy_pass then it'll send the
> URI without decoding special characters (such as %2F). But in this case it
> sends /test/xxxx to port 1024.
> So, my question is how I can get nginx to remove /test/ from the URI but
> does NOT decode special characters (such as %2F)?

How do you expect nginx to remove "/test/" without decoding
special characters?  E.g., what should happen if the request is to
"/test%2F", "/t%65st/", or "/test//"?

As long as you have an answer, you can try constructing
appropriate URI to upstream request yourself by using proxy_pass
with variables.  When proxy_pass is used with variables, nginx
won't try to do anything with URI specified and will pass it ass

E.g., assuming all requests start with "/test/" and there are no
escaping problems:

    location /test/ {
        set $changed_uri "/";

        if ($request_uri ~ "^/test(/.*)") {
            set $changed_uri $1;

        proxy_pass http://localhost:1024$changed_uri;

Note though, that such approach is likely to cause problems unless
used with care.

Maxim Dounin