Nginx headers to be set at the time of request processing

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Nov 29 12:58:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 06:56:29PM -0500, CeeGeeDev wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for expanding on what you are doing.

I confess that I am still not sure what it is; but that's ok -- I don't
need to understand.

> So for the benefit of the community: our plan is to implement a custom
> configuration directive in our http module to allow us to inform ourselves
> about various header overrides made in the nginx configuration file that
> should override various request headers in the actual request data
> structures during request processing in our http module code (in our
> business logic only... will have no effect on downstream request header
> values). There seems to be no built-in alternative for nginx custom http
> module developers (apologies if this question is better suited to the
> development list), at least none that we can find documented anywhere.

  location /test/ {
    proxy_set_header a a;
    fastcgi_param b b;
    my_directive_a c c;
    my_directive_b d d;
  }

For a request that is handled in that location, three of those directives
could send some "extra" information to the upstream, if a suitable
"*_pass" directive were active. No "*_pass" directive is active, so
those three directives are effectively unused for this request.

What do you expect your module to report for a request handled in this
location?

That may make it clearer what you are trying to achieve.

(If it does not, feel free to ignore this mail.)

Thanks,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org