Nginx - API Gateway is not forwarding the request to Auth Service

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Apr 11 11:48:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 02:04:32AM -0400, zaidahmd wrote:

Hi there,

> This means my authentication service will be getting a subrequest to /login
> everytime a request reaches nginx. And if the subrequest returns 401 then it
> means the user needs to login.

I'm not sure what your system design is, but it sounds like it may not
match the nginx auth_request design.

If your application does its own authentication, then you possibly do
not need nginx auth_request at all.

Do things work for you if the nginx side is just "proxy_pass"?

And, out of interest, which nginx auth_request user guide did you use
for inspiration? It may be that that document can be improved for the
next person.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org