Can Nginx used as a reverse proxy send HTTP(s) requests through a forward proxy ?

Francis Daly francis at
Thu Dec 7 08:12:06 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 10:47:45PM +0000, Nicolas Legroux wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm wondering if it's possible to do what's described in the mail subject ?

nginx does not speak the proxy-http protocol.

You can: use something other than nginx; or change your forward proxy
to be configured in "transparent" mode so that it is not expecting to
be addressed as a proxy; or change your clients to speak the proxy-http
protocol to an nginx that is configured as a "stream" pass-through and
not as a http server.

Depending on your requirements, I would suggest one of the first two.

Francis Daly        francis at