Identifying "Writing" connections in status stub

Peter Booth peter_booth at me.com
Sun Jul 30 09:15:25 UTC 2017

Vlad,

You might not need to replicate it- you have it happening in production in front of you.
Some questions:

1. When is the last time that your production nginx was restarted?
2. Do you have regular restarts?
3. Is there an obstacle to restarting at some point?
4. Is this a single instance or do you have multiple nginx hosts?
5. What 3rd party models are you using?
6. Is the website in question an enterprise app or something that is internet visible?

Maxim’s hypothesis of leaking sockets from third party plugin is the simplest, most likely explanation for what you report.

I start from a position of trusting nothing. If you can you capture the output of lsof -i :80 or net stat -ant | grep TCP or a
similar ss command you can know for certain that your visualization is “telling the truth”
Certainly the line labeled “Writing” looks unusual. Do you know of any site events that might have caused the minimum on
23 July, the spike on 24th, and the step up on 25th July?

Peter