Active/Active NginX configuration

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Jun 6 22:27:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:20:11AM -0400, kingstonsew wrote:

Hi there,

> I current have configured 2 NginX running on Red Had Enterprise Linux 7.3.
> Both NginX will load balance a set of 4 application servers. The current
> configuration for both of the NginX is active / passive by using keepalived
> with a single virtual IP.
>
> I would like to know how to make the 2 NginX into an active/active
> configuration without using round-robin DNS approach.

Your active/passive setup is based on something external to nginx deciding
whether the traffic goes to the nginx1 server or the nginx2 server.

Your active/active setup will probably also be based on something external
to nginx deciding whether the traffic goes to the nginx1 server or the
nginx2 server. Probably you will want a load balancer.

Many exist, including nginx: you can have a third server that
reverse-proxies to either of your current servers.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org