Routing based on ALPN

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at
Mon Feb 19 11:02:06 UTC 2018

I'm looking for a way to route traffic on port 443 based on ALPN value
without SSL termination.

ssl_preread_module [1] does something similar but the only exposed
variable ($ssl_preread_server_name) is for SNI, not ALPN.

A bit of context. I'd like to use nginx to host regular HTTPS server on port
443 but if the ALPN value is 'xmpp-client' transparently proxy the traffic
to my local Jabber server. This feature [2] is already supported by several
XMPP clients.

Is there a way to access and save ALPN value to a variable?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,