failed (13: Permission denied) while reading upstream on rename()

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Jan 23 23:29:52 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 10:34:21PM +0000, Friscia, Michael wrote:

Hi there,

> In the error I see that the rename() failure was to change:
> eedd07f7aef45a5ed22f748a31724947.0000002528
> eedd07f7aef45a5ed22f748a31724947
>
> This seems to happen on some pages and then continues to happen if I browse that page but most pages are not affected.

Does the error cause any breakage in your nginx?

I suspect that the reason for the error is that an "uncommon" filesystem
may have more failure modes than a "common" one; and the best way to avoid
filesystem-related problems is to avoid using a network-based filesystem.

If what you have works well enough for you, then it might be simplest to
leave it as-is, and accept that your filesystem sometimes denies "rename"
permission and other times allows "rename" permission.

To investigate further, you may want to enable the debug log, and perhaps
check the full permissions of the files in question and their containing
directories, and see if there is anything that looks unusual.

"full permissions" may not just be "ls -l", depending on the
implementation or configuration details.

> Has anyone seen this before?

I've not; so this is just as much guess work as the previous one :-)

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org