status/usage of FRiCKLE/ngx_cache_purge. still reliable? alternatives?

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Thu Jun 7 18:12:47 UTC 2018

> No real "vs" or "thing" IME.  nginx(ssl terminator) -> varnish -> nginx
> works quite nicely.
>
> There's also Varnish's terminator, Hitch, as an alternative,

Sure in general there is no problem offloading varnish (done it with nginx /
stud / haproxy / hitch / h2o .. etc and still running several setups).

But again depends on your needs and willingness to deal with larger software
stack (that's why I said it's another topic) as you end up with 2+ moving
parts (which have their own configuration / own resources / network buffers
/ sockets / timeouts etc) but obviously there are things which one does
better than other (and vice versa).

I just added it because you initially asked to comment on "nginx-native"
approach (if we can consider a third-party (in non-commercial version)
module as native)  ;)

p.s. for some time varnish has http2 support .. maybe at some point in
future either openssl gets cleaned-up/rewritten enough for them to link with
it or they find some good-enough alternative  :)

rr