Slow OPTIONS requests with reverse proxy cache

Roger Fischer roger at netskrt.io
Wed Jan 23 00:48:23 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have noticed that the response to OPTIONS requests via a reverse proxy cache are quite slow. The browser reports 600 ms or more of idle time until NGINX provides the response. I am using the community edition of NGINX, so I don’t have any timing for the upstream request.

As I understand it, NGINX bypasses the cache for OPTIONs requests. Thus it should be straight proxying.

A direct request (browser directly to origin) is fast, in the 10s of milliseconds or less.

What could delay the OPTIONS request in NGINX?

Thanks…

Roger