Nginx request processing is slow when logging disabled

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 16 09:26:24 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 09:50:50AM -0400, heythisisom wrote:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> The nginx reverse proxy and uWSGI runs on the same host. Each nginx reverse
> proxies are connected to only one single Instance of the uWSGI backend.
>
> But in the uWSGI backend, I'm running 4 workers in total based on the
> configuration 2 workers can be handled by 1 VCPU. Essentially the Instance I
> run has 2 VCPUs hence It translates to 4 workers.

4 uWSGI workers means that only 4 requests can be handled in
parallel.  As long as your code uses external resources, such as
databases or external requests, this may be way too low.

> The listen queue length of
> my backend is sufficiently high i.e. 4096 and I have set my somaxconn
> parameter to 32768. So I think everything with respect to the backend seems
> fine.

To large listen queue length might be a reason which actually
causes the 499 errors you've observed.  For example, assuming
processing each request requires 1 second on your backend, and
given you have 4 backend workers, listen queue length of 4096
translates to 1000 seconds delay due to queueing.  You may want to
monitor actual number of queued connection requests in the
listening socket queue when the issue happens.  Assuming you are
using Linux, try "ss -nlt" see queue sizes and numbers of
currently queue connection requests.

> Only when I disable logging in nginx I could see this Issue happen. Once I
> enable it, my hosts never raised Timeout error at all. Also, note that this
> Issue happens more often when the server is in an Idle state and not when
> the server is in peak.

Disabling/enabled logging implies slightly different load pattern,
might change various timings and/or OS scheduler behaviour, and
hence change the observed results - either by triggering bugs in
various places (including kernel, nginx, and your backend) or
simply by making things less efficient.  What exactly happens requires
further investigation.  You may start with looking at the "ss
-nlt" numbers as suggested above.

http://mdounin.ru/