AW: AW: Using NGINX as reverse proxy to webmin on a remote server

P.V.Anthony anthony at mindmedia.com.sg
Mon Apr 27 18:45:22 UTC 2020

On 27/4/20 8:49 pm, Carsten Laun-De Lellis wrote:

> I've tried to configure my servers according to the link you sent, but it didn't work out.

I tried on my server and got it to work. Not exactly the way you may
want. This is a start for further research. It seems that there are
webmin settings that need to be done and not nginx.

Here is my config for nginx.

server {
         listen *:80;

         server_name webmin.example.com ;

         root   /var/www/webmin.example.com/web/;

         location / {
             proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:10000/;

         }

Added the line to the bottom of /etc/webmin/config
referer=1

The above is not a good idea but a start for more research.

Next disable ssl in webmin. For me I had to change the file
/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf with ssl=0

The above works for me.

Having said all that, I do not like the idea of webmin facing the
internet. To scary for me.

I would just use ssh -D 8080 user at server then with firefox set to proxy
on 8080 and use webmin. I feel that is much more safer.

It is like a vpn connection.

P.V.Anthony