modules after upgrade

J Carter jordanc.carter at outlook.com
Thu Feb 1 19:03:04 UTC 2024

Hello,

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 12:28:40 -0500
Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 11:57 AM Sergey A. Osokin <osa at freebsd.org.ru> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 11:34:08AM -0500, Larry Martell wrote:
> > > We run Ubuntu 20.04, which has nginx 1.18. I was asked to upgrade it
> > > to 1.25.3, which I did following the instructions here:
> > > https://docs.nginx.com/nginx/admin-guide/installing-nginx/installing-nginx-open-source/.
> > > We had 6 modules installed (http-ndk, http-image-filter, http-lua,
> > > http-xslt-filter, mail, stream) which all got removed in the upgrade.
> > > When I try to reinstall them it fails with  libnginx-mod-http-ndk :
> > > Depends: nginx-common (= 1.18.0-0ubuntu1.4) but it is not going to be
> > > installed. How can I install the modules I need for 1.25.3? Do I have
> > > to build them from source now?
> >
> > There two types of modules in the list:
> > - native, developed by nginx development team;
> > - third-party, from vendors.
> >
> > So, http-ndk, [1] and http-lua, [2] are third-party modules.  Those
> > modules need to be recompiled with a corresponding version of nginx.
> > I'd recommend to visit reference pages to get details how to build
> > those third-party modules.
> >
> > References
> > ----------
> > 1. https://github.com/vision5/ngx_devel_kit
> > 2. https://github.com/openresty/lua-nginx-module
>
> Hi Sergey,
>
> I was able to install nginx-module-image-filter with apt, but
> http-xslt-filter, mail, stream all fail with the same message Depends:
> nginx-common (= 1.18.0-0ubuntu1.4).
>
> I looked at the 2 links you gave and both talk about building nginx
> from source to get those modules included. Is that now required? With
> 1.18 I simply did:

It's nothing to do with version. What you've done is switch from Ubuntu
provided packages to nginx.org provided packages. Ubuntu provides third
party binary modules that are not in the offical repo.

The list of offical packges in the repo can be quickly seen by
browsing:
https://nginx.org/packages/mainline/ubuntu/pool/nginx/n/

> sudo apt install lua5.3
> sudo apt install libluajit-5.1-2
> sudo apt install lua-sql-mysql
> sudo apt install libnginx-mod-http-lua
>
> Thanks!
> Larry

For Lua (and Luajit) you can build from source using make files from
the nginx offical packaging mercurial repo:

https://hg.nginx.org/pkg-oss/file/1c4041361462/contrib/src
https://hg.nginx.org/pkg-oss/file/1c4041361462/build_module.sh
(1.25.3 commit)

There are many other useful modules there too that are not shipped as
binaries.

However, I don't believe lua-sql-mysql is included there, so you will
still need to build that from sources on github:

https://github.com/openresty/lua-resty-mysql