Our nginx module development roadmap (draft)

agentzh agentzh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 14:54:31 MSK 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Michael Shadle <mike503 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well if any guys can make it happen it's you guys. :)

Err...

> with all your submodules I could see a definite demand
> for dynamic loading - right now it's not the easiest to be
> able to take advantage of all of them and cherry pick
> which ones are useful, not to mention having to recompile
> nginx each time you want to update even just one of
> them... I'm confident if there was a way to use your
> modules easier they'd get used a lot more. I'd probably
> mess around with some and more people would make
> recipes including them as they get adopted. I'm sure you
> know this though :)

Sure.

Actually we're taking another approach. We'll release a bundle of all
our modules, patches that are important but never applied to the
mainstream, and some other 3rd-party modules that we think very
useful, as well as their dependencies into a single tarball, just like
php and qt's distribution tarball. We'll ensure that all those modules
play well together and have been thoroughly tested and are ready for
production use. We'd like to make new releases of this bundle
periodically.

It'll be named as "ngx_openresty" or as a formal nginx fork named
"nginx plus" or something like that.

Cheers,
-agentzh