memcache_assume_gzipped for 1.2.6

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Dec 20 22:03:33 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 02:51:44PM -0500, Daniel Church wrote:

> I'm running nginx on a cheap VPS, which has pretty horrible disk i/o.  As
> such I keep most of my content in memcached so that nginx never has to hit
> the disk, a good mix of cached dynamic and cached static content.  I wanted
> to use GZIP compression without wasting CPU cycles gzipping memcached
> content over and over again.
>
> I created a flag "memcache_assume_gzipped" to the memcache module.  If you
> turn it on for a location, it will append "Content-type: gzip" to the
> headers of the response inside the memcache module.  This way, you can gzip
> content (level 9), store it straight into memcache, and then nginx will
> return it with the appropriate headers.  Example here:
>
> http://alpha.criticalmeltdown.com/demo/2
>
> Is this something anyone is interested in incorporating into the current
> stable branch, or is it too much of a niche need?  If anyone wants it, I
> can throw together a patch file.

There is already memcached_gzip_flag, which allows to add

http://nginx.org/r/memcached_gzip_flag

And even gunzip module which allows to gunzip such responses for
clients which doesn't support gzip.

http://nginx.org/r/gunzip

Not sure why you want to introduce another directive for this.

http://nginx.com/support.html