enabling SPDY (patch 42) +nginx 1.3.2 breaks gzip

pgndev pgnet.dev+nginx at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 00:22:55 UTC 2012

hi

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Valentin V. Bartenev <ne at vbart.ru> wrote:
> Firefox doesn't send "Accept-Encoding" header and according to the SPDY
> specification it's not needed for using gzip compression. So, there's
> nothing wrong with Firefox.
>
> But, since you pass requests over HTTP and compression handled by your upstream
> servers, thus the lack of this header results in an uncompressed response.
>
>> Do I need to change/add something to headers in FF config as well?
>
> No, you don't.

understood.

> But I don't think that it's a bug. Probably, it's a feature. Firebug just
> isn't the right tool for low level debugging of browser-server communication.

I didn't realize that.  I'll dig for the right tool for myself.  Do
you recommend anything in particular that's helpful in tracing nginx
issues and reporting the results here?

> Since you added the "proxy_set_header" directive to "http" section, you should
> make sure that it is not overridden by the directives on other levels.
>
> http://nginx.org/r/proxy_set_header
> Please note: "These directives are inherited from the previous level if and only
> if there are no proxy_set_header directives defined on the current level."

Missed that completely.

Consolidating my directives straightened out the header inheritance.

Now, I see:

	Response Headers
		Accept-Ranges	bytes
		Age	14
		Cache-Control	public, max-age=300
==>		Content-Encoding	gzip
		Content-Language	en
		Content-Length	4561
		Content-Type	text/html; charset=utf-8
		Date	Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:17:07 GMT
		Expires	Sun, 19 Nov 1978 05:00:00 GMT
		Last-Modified	Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:16:48 GMT
		Link    <https://test.svr06.loc/>; rel="canonical"
==>		Server	nginx
		Vary	Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
		Via	1.1 varnish