Questions for X-Accel-Redirect

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Dec 19 12:10:19 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 03:52:55PM +0900, Toshikuni Fukaya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions for X-Accel-Redirect.
>
> Background: I use X-Accel-Redirect to send blob data from a second
> server (:8001 in below). I want to send headers from not only the second
> but also the first (:8000).
> Current nginx implementation, however, sends only headers from the
> second except some headers from the first, such as Content-Type.
>
> Question 1:
> Can I change this behavior to send headers from the first server
> together with ones from the second to a client?

You can save headers from the first server response from
$upstream_http_* variables and then use add_header to add them to
the final response:

    location / {
        proxy_pass http://upstream1;
    }

    location /second/ {
        set $x_foo_bar $upstream_http_x_foo_bar;
        add_header X-Foo-Bar $x_foo_bar;
        proxy_pass http://upstream2;
    }

I don't really think we need additional functionality here.